Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The First Ramble: Travel Tales

Welcome to this new little adventure! After several painstaking hours of tweaking and trying to get this page exactly right, I finally feel like I'm ready to just get going and post something. Go ahead and follow me on Bloglovin'!



Currently my house looks like an episode of Hoarders because we recently got back from a whirlwind week vacation and things have not slowed down since we got back. I'm choosing to ignore the disaster and tell you about our trip.

We went to visit my family for a few days (many of them were meeting Jackson for the first time), celebrated two beautiful weddings, and spent a day/night in Chicago with friends. Here's what I learned on our travels.

Travel at night. We decided to leave from Jackson's orthotist appointment since it is already a little over an hour into our nine hour trip. We didn't officially get on the road until after 4:00 but since a lot of the driving was at night, Jackson slept most of the way. We came back in the day time and it was harder for Jackson to be in the car seat for long stretches during the day.

Just sit in the back. After a couple of incidences where we had to pull over so I could get in the back and either feed or comfort Jackson, I finally decided that it was just best for me to sit in the back right from the start any time we were in the car for a significant amount of time (which was a lot) on this trip.



Bottles are awful and awesome. Jackson has been exclusively formula fed for several weeks now and sometimes trying to plan travel with formula and bottles is so frustrating. But on a long car trip it was so nice to just whip out a bottle and feed him in his car seat without having to take the time to stop and get out for a feeding.

Air BnB. I wasn't familiar with this until we decided to plan our excursion to Chicago. The other family that we were traveling with have a toddler and we decided with our kids it would be easier than trying to get hotel rooms. We ended up staying in a great apartment just a few blocks from the train station. There was plenty of space for all of us to spread out and hang out, and splitting the one apartment three ways was definitely more cost effective than all of us getting our own hotel rooms. I will definitely look into using Air BnB before booking a hotel next time we travel.

Find the free. While we were in Chicago we went to the Lincoln Park zoo (pretty great for a free zoo!), Millennium Park, and Navy Pier. With kids along it wasn't worth it to spend a lot of money on admission to something they weren't old enough to remember or appreciate. We had a great time!

Our car was packed as full as it could be, we were exhausted coming home, and the whole week seemed to fly by, but I overall our first major trip with a baby was a success! (Note: I am okay not taking any more trips any time soon.)








1 comment:

  1. I love the new blog!!

    I LOVE AirBnB. We used it when we went to Iceland last summer and we were able to rent a full one bedroom apartment with a washer and dryer and balcony with an amazing view for about half of what a hotel would have cost us, and we were just as close to downtown Reykjavik as if we had rented a hotel. It was so perfect and I would absolutely use it again next time we travel somewhere, rather than look at hotels first.

    ReplyDelete