Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Week I Was On My Own

Justin just got back from England. He was gone for ten days. Ten. Long. Days. Here are some highlights of my week.

I decided that I needed to throw myself into house and school projects to keep busy so I wouldn't get bored and lonely. (Then I remembered I have a five-month old baby and there is no such thing as bored...) I cleaned out closets and dressers, put together bins of things to donate, and made a curtain for an ugly cabinet in our entryway. I didn't get a lot done at school, but did meet with a potential new family. While wearing a shirt covered in pee thanks to a leaky diaper.
 


I really needed some company one night so I invited some church friends over for dinner. I made a super easy chicken dish that made it look like I have my life together, and we sat around the table drinking lemonade and talking well into the night.

Justin and I were able to text, but because of the time difference there was a very small window of time that we were able to actually have a conversation. One afternoon we tried to video chat. Jackson was super grumpy so I should have known it wasn't going to go well. First my audio wasn't working. Then Justin's video went out. We ended up trying a different app and were able to talk for maybe five minutes. By the time we hung up, the baby and I were both in tears. I ended up packing Jackson up in the car and driving around so he would calm down. That ride may or may not have included a stop for ice cream once he fell asleep. I needed it, guys.

Then we had our church picnic. I played keyboard for a set with the worship band. We were on a stage in the sun from 12:00-1:30 and I forgot sunscreen. And by the time we were done playing they had put all of the food away so now my skin was on fire and I missed out on good old Lutheran potluck. I soothed my sorrows and burning skin with a bottle of aloe lotion, an episode of Scandal, and a nap when I got home.

My parents came the day before Justin came home. They woke up with Jackson and took him for a walk so I could sleep in a little bit, then we spent the day exploring some random antique shops around town. I had to pick up Justin at 1:30 in the morning so it was nice not to have to pack Jackson up and bring him along.

We survived. It wasn't that bad, and it was only ten days, but I'm really glad Justin is home. Although I am a little bit sad that I had to give up the cozy nest of pillows that I built for myself in the middle of our bed.















1 comment:

  1. What a week!!! You are a champion. That is no picnic with a baby! It's funny that you did house projects. James had a work trip this week, albeit a short one, but I found myself scrubbing the windows and baseboards and changing things on the walls. Anything to forget he wasn't coming home at the end of the day. Glad you made it through!

    ReplyDelete